Mark Hobson (Sparks) - System Ref Candidate

Post by Imnotagoth » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:14 am

Please use this thread to ask any questions
Scott Carmichael
Major J Cobb

BenM

Re: Mark Hobson (Sparks) - System Ref Candidate

Post by BenM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:20 pm

What are your thoughts on accommodating non-Earth (but not necessarily non-human) characters, as a System Ref.

Imnotagoth

Post by Imnotagoth » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:00 pm

I currently have a vested intrest in the medical rules, but find them overally complex and too restrictive in some areas.

What are your thoughts on those mechanics overal?

Would you consider a re-write of the medical rules (all elements of it)?

Would you be receptive for active input on any re-write from the players who's characters would be most impacted by it?
Scott Carmichael
Major J Cobb

Munroe

Post by Munroe » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Taking those in order

What are your thoughts on accommodating non-Earth (but not necessarily non-human) characters, as a System Ref.

I'm open to the idea. It will need co-operation between the system refs, and the plot co-ordinator, but limited adoption of non-earth characters seems suitable considering the current plotline.

I currently have a vested intrest in the medical rules, but find them overally complex and too restrictive in some areas.

What are your thoughts on those mechanics overal?

Would you consider a re-write of the medical rules (all elements of it)?

Would you be receptive for active input on any re-write from the players who's characters would be most impacted by it?

We're already planning one, and have some initial ideas already drafted. Sadly, work commitments have meant that these arent as well developed as I'd like. As you can imagine, it's a big job.

As for active input from players, I wouldnt do it any other way, although I wouldnt start such interaction until the proposals are properly documented.
Lt. Alexander Munroe
OOC: Sparks.

One last hope,To rise and break away
Above the faded line, Way beyond the ties that bind

This I know, The risk is worth the gain
It's worth the sacrifice, Way beyond the ties that bind

Munroe

Post by Munroe » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Hello All

Just to let you all know, i am going to be out of the country for the first 2 weeks of March, so if you have any further questions you would like to ask, please get them in soon.

Otherwise, i wont be able to answer them until the week before the event.

Cheers
Lt. Alexander Munroe

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:37 pm

The flight rules have been heavily simplified this year, and I look at this being a fairly good direction for the rules as it has cut down on allot of semi-meaningless flak with the 'Fly It Like I Stole It' AP allowing characters to get more flexibility out of the more...specific skills in the system.

How do you feel about continuing this route by making other incredibly specific skills (such as languages) more flexible/fun and more effective in uptime play?

Munroe

Post by Munroe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:32 am

I already have ideas for linguistics, although I must admit that I'm intending a consistency pass, rather than simplificationin the same manner as piloting.

As it stands, whilst I would like to simplify a lot of the skills down, I don't believe we could really accomplish much without revising the rules architecture as a whole.

Its also worth noting that piloting (under the previous architecture) was almost impossible to use in uptime, or in downtimes that did not feature the exact vehicle listed. The changes were implemented to give writers a bit more latitude to get some use out of the skill, and to allow players to play a pilot without it being a huge time sink.

At present, I don't see any other skills that fit the same criteria. They either all have some form of uptime use, or are generic enough that DT writers can work in appropriate situations, so the same sort of consolidation process is inappropriate.
Lt. Alexander Munroe