Outsider Observations

Moderator: Exec

BenM

Re: Outsider Observations

Post by BenM » Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 am

As a former secretary, I have done deferred crew priority before, someone approached me wishing to defer it as they could not do the next event, it was arranged as per that, it's not like we've ever had such intense numbers of crew deferring that we need a database to track them on or can't rely on people being honest about their situations.

Ticket Lottery:

So, I have opinions (tm) on this based on my experiences. When we did the 10th Anniversary event there was a massive scrabble for places with me taking bookings over the phone and having to judge things by the time stamp on the email. This was an absolute nightmare and was massively unfair on anyone whose computer was a fraction too small. I did it on a first-come first-served basis because I didn't know a better way at the time.

I have since run DuD's bookings for Event 2 on a lottery system and I wouldn't go back to first-come first-served, as while there is an instant gratification issue for first-come systems and clock-watching, the number of times I've seen angry arguments about people not broadcasting the time/date of bookings opening weighs me against it.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's flaws, there's always the threat of an accusation of bias against players, but it was a fairly peaceful solution for DuD because people at least all felt there was a fair chance of a space.

It has also bred a culture of 'crew one, play one' for DuD because people want to get in on the priority crew slots (we allow deferring) which COULD be beneficial for Stargate.

It's one of those things that is worth a try.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue May 09, 2017 8:00 am

Secondary issue that is Stargate-unique:

Constitutionally Crew Priority is a sticky issue that has never been an issue because selling out as never been a massive issue, but the constitution currently states that paid society members have priority over non-society members providing an event has space (so crew priority-booking who have not paid membership should in theory not be allowed priority, again, this has never come up just raising awareness.).

This is something that might need to be looked at when making any changes to bookings (for example I HAD TO for the 10th demand that anyone wanting to book had paid up their membership).

Annwfyn

Post by Annwfyn » Tue May 09, 2017 10:31 am

The final thing I'll say, and then I'll mostly bow out of this conversation because it's none of my business now I'm not president, but on the subject of the Event Runners Guide (since I wrote it).

The Event Runners Guide was never intended to be a prescriptive document or extra rules for event runners telling them 'you must do this'. I've played in societies with that kind of top heavy structure and I've never been convinced that you gain more than you lose from micromanaging the people writing your games. Event running is, ultimately, a creative process and different people will do it differently. That's good and cool and a feature, not a bug, as far as I'm concerned. The committee are also not there to be the boss of the event runners. They are there to support them, maintain continuity for the game world (sys refs and plot co) and give the kind of logistical and structural back up which makes life easier, not more complicated.

I have also never met a situation which was improved by huge wodges of documentation.

Therefore, the Event Runners Guide was designed as a 'life hack', and a collection of resources, signposts and tips that various event runners, when asked, said "I wish I'd known this when I started". It isn't a list of rules, or obligations, or 'best practice'. We're not a huge company. We're a society of 30-50 people, most of whom are mates. I didn't see the need for anything complex. I still don't. Of course, Fraser may wish to re-write it totally when he gets his grubby little hands on it, which is totally his perogative :D But right now it's designed to be streamlined, flexible, adaptable and just there to make life a little bit easier. That's all. :)
Squadron Leader AJ Heaton
Head of Science Division

This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given

Zach_Wayland

Post by Zach_Wayland » Tue May 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Annwfyn wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:31 am
The final thing I'll say, and then I'll mostly bow out of this conversation because it's none of my business now I'm not president, but on the subject of the Event Runners Guide (since I wrote it).

The Event Runners Guide was never intended to be a prescriptive document or extra rules for event runners telling them 'you must do this'. I've played in societies with that kind of top heavy structure and I've never been convinced that you gain more than you lose from micromanaging the people writing your games. Event running is, ultimately, a creative process and different people will do it differently. That's good and cool and a feature, not a bug, as far as I'm concerned. The committee are also not there to be the boss of the event runners. They are there to support them, maintain continuity for the game world (sys refs and plot co) and give the kind of logistical and structural back up which makes life easier, not more complicated.

I have also never met a situation which was improved by huge wodges of documentation.

Therefore, the Event Runners Guide was designed as a 'life hack', and a collection of resources, signposts and tips that various event runners, when asked, said "I wish I'd known this when I started". It isn't a list of rules, or obligations, or 'best practice'. We're not a huge company. We're a society of 30-50 people, most of whom are mates. I didn't see the need for anything complex. I still don't. Of course, Fraser may wish to re-write it totally when he gets his grubby little hands on it, which is totally his perogative :D But right now it's designed to be streamlined, flexible, adaptable and just there to make life a little bit easier. That's all. :)
/\ THIS /\

"Tell them....had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

(Character Deceased 13/5/18)