Jaffa staves

Moderator: Exec

Tonya

Re: Jaffa staves

Post by Tonya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:31 pm

We are I am afraid looking at string maille...BUT!

We dont have the budget of Lord of the Rings, although we can manage Monty Pythons holy grail :)

I intend to paint and then wash said stringmaille with a waterproofer to prevent it getting soggy and smelling like a wet wookiee. If it can be knitted with a non-porous string in the first place all the better.

I know it isnt all singing all dancing chain, but it is very similar to that which is used in film productions and will be knitted to purpose rather than be a charity shop jumper sprayed silver. I am in agreeance that stringmaille is better than no maille, and as it can be made very cheaply it is worth a shot.

That said, if anyone has the skill and the time to make 6 sets of larper size plastic chainmaille please do not hesitate in coming forward :)
Jessica Merryweather - Technical Manager - SEF
At your gate wiring up your chevrons.

Tonya Sutherland-Smith

Munroe

Post by Munroe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 pm

As a note on that point then, theres actually a type of material you can get that looks like butcher's chain. much easier on the eye than stringmail, and I think it;s about the same cost. I'll try and find out where you get it.
Lt. Alexander Munroe
OOC: Sparks.

One last hope,To rise and break away
Above the faded line, Way beyond the ties that bind

This I know, The risk is worth the gain
It's worth the sacrifice, Way beyond the ties that bind

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Ty :)

For full steel chain we are looking at appx £130 per suit, and it will need a lot more care than sitting in the caravan. We cannot replicate the jaffa staff weapons easily so need to pay an expert, but I am all for saving money to improve on what we have now maillewise, which is nothing :)

Additional - is this the stuff? Unfortunately out of stock here but may be available elsewhere
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... xprd717941

Tonya Sutherland-Smith

JBailey

Post by JBailey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:26 pm

If we're bulk ordering staff's, I'd probably get in on that if they can show us a photo in advance. Have they made them before or is this a first for them?
Private James Litton-Cressbrook

Little Cheese/ Cheesus/ J-LO

Formerly Major Thomas Flint until April '13 and C/Sgt. Eli Ben-Elkman until September '18

Wyatt Lockhart

Post by Wyatt Lockhart » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:28 pm

£660 for six staff weapons?

I can crank 'em out a lot cheaper than that (the whole not-charging-for-my-time thing), less than half that quote, I reckon.
Unless you want Gold/Copper paints, which adds a bit (Blue/Purple/silver is easy).

Not sure the finished product would be completely up to the same visual quality as the pro guy, but it would be close, and I've been using some of my stuff for near on 10 years now (I think my mace may be even older), so I know I build robust weapons.

The only downside would be time. My workshop is my garden, so it'll be reliant on free dry weekends which are few and far between. Building Larp-safe weapons is not like throwing together a rocket-launcher phys-rep in 24hrs :D

Unless someone close to Reading has a garage I can colonise for a few weekends?

Offer's out there.
Do you need the ends to open when firing...? :D

**Edit**
Done some quote shopping, I think i can pull off six staff weapons for around £200 to £220.
Just sayin'.
**/Edit**

**Re-edit**
If you want quick and dirty, I can put out black/silver gaffer versions, larp safe, that I can assemble in my lounge, for about £12 each...
**/Re-edit**
Last edited by Wyatt Lockhart on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyatt Lockhart - Head of Weapons and Armour Technology
"It's not magic, it's engineering plus chemistry..."

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Hehe the ends dont need to open when firing, but it does need to be a goldy/coppery colour (purists please correct me if I am wrong, all info I pull up shows them as copper).

The company CharacterKit didnt say they had made them before but were very confident they could make them. I sent them a 3d rotating gif to study and they knew exactly what it was. I have checked out their other weapons on their site and they do look very nice.

That said, if you can build them for a fraction of the cost we would all be very grateful. The real matter is time as we will need them for February/March. Would be nice to have a fully kitted jaffa at the lrp fair :)

Edit - wow! If you have the time that would be fantastic :)

Tonya Sutherland-Smith

Nadeem Al-Soof

Post by Nadeem Al-Soof » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Well that knocks my cheaper option out! Tonya ignore earlier phone call!
Rav Samal 'Nadeem'
فروشنده فروشنده چای پرخاشگر منفعل

Team Disraeli
استطلاع, استكشاف, ريادة

http://sef.oe-web.dk/wiki/index.php?tit ... em_al-soof

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:51 pm

I am not really up for the black gaffa, as inexpensive as they would be. An iconic part of stargate is the Jaffa and it will add to the overall experience (and gallery photos - coming soon!) if they really look the part.

I want our society to look like the professional outfit that it is. We all put so much time and effort into this society and it deserves to look the part :) The props we have have done us proud but as a replacement to the staff weapons is well overdue it seems a good time to do it properly :)

The prop team are looking at other replacements too, inc DHDs and the gate itself, all iconic items in need of an update :)

Tonya Sutherland-Smith

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:55 pm

@Richard Please get me the quote/photo anyway :)

Tonya Sutherland-Smith

Wyatt Lockhart

Post by Wyatt Lockhart » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:58 pm

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.c ... g00038.jpg
Too big to embed. Pic from the props clearout at the end of filming on Atlantis, showing dark grey staff weapons.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... Weapon.png
Sodan staff weapon (SG1), brownish/dark iron colour.

Think gold was just Ra/Anubis/Teal'c.
Wyatt Lockhart - Head of Weapons and Armour Technology
"It's not magic, it's engineering plus chemistry..."