CEMAT Weaponry

Moderator: SysRefs

Sparks

CEMAT Weaponry

Post by Sparks » Tue May 03, 2016 10:30 am

Hi All

Now that downtimes are out, you may have noticed an IC piece about some new weapons technology. These weapons, CEMAT (Chemically Enhanced Magnetic Acceleration Technology) weapons are now available for issue. There are currently some IC restrictions, but that is purely down IC decision making.

The rulebook will be updated in due course, but here's some notes for you all

All CEMAT weapons can fire ANYWHERE. Fully submersed, in zero G, extreme heat, extreme cold, whatever. They just work.

They have some special characteristics, compared to their conventional equivalents. Notably, the magazine size is better, and they have one specific ability that is either better than their counterpart, or in replacement for something else.

The downside is that the ammo for these weapons is ONLY available from the SEF. Ammo drops from any other source will not have ammo for them, and they will not be available to scavenge from monsters, unless they somehow get hold of SEF stores.

The ammunition will be marked with BLUE electrical tape. This ammo cannot be used in any other weapon.

At the moment, stocks are not high, so please see a ref before marking all your own phys reps with blue tape, we may want to limit you somewhat until the weapons become more prevalent.

Stats below

XP-3 Nemesis Heavy Pistol
Skill : Advanced Pistols
Damage : 2
Special Damage : 1 Knockdown (2 Ammo)
Clip : 10
Traits : Ambidexterity, CEMAT

XA-1 Zephyr Assault Rifle
Skill : Small Arms
Damage : 2
Special Damage : 4 (3 Ammo)
Clip : 36
Traits : Accurate, CEMAT, Covering (But uses only 3 Bullets rather than 5)

XM-1 Aurora Marksman Rifle
Skill : Small Arms
Damage : 4
Special Damage : 5 Knockdown
Clip : 12
Traits : Accurate, Sniper, CEMAT, Stabilised (When Using Special Call Only)

Please note, Accurate has been deliberately taken off the heavy pistol. This is not a typo.

As for Phys Repping - These should look distinct from normal weapons. Mass Effect, or the New Conglomerate Weapons from Planetside 2 would make a good source of visual inspiration for the look and feel.
Jack Mason, RIBA

Isaac Johnson

Re: CEMAT Weaponry

Post by Isaac Johnson » Tue May 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Does weapon mastery heavy pistol work with CEMAT heavy pistols?

Cheers
Captain Johnson MA (Oxon) DPhil

The song of Neferneferuaton is a wordless one.

Wyatt Lockhart

Post by Wyatt Lockhart » Tue May 03, 2016 6:39 pm

So... CEMAT vs standard:

Heavy pistol - minor upgrade > gains ammo, gains a reduced damage special call, loses Accurate
AR - Direct upgrade > gains ammo, gains cheaper Covering fire
MR - Direct super-upgrade > gains ammo, gains increased damage special call when braced.

Why is the CEMAT sniper, in particular, better in every way (supplying a suitable physrep included) than an Anti-material Rifle? It pretty much is an AM rifle, one that turns into a normal MR when not braced, but with 2.5x the ammo.

C'mon guys, you have to balance this stuff if it's going to be an equip-able choice; if it's ammo goes up, it's damage should go down and vice versa. If it gains a special effect, either damage or ammo should go down. CEMAT should be a tactical choice, not an across-the-board upgrade.

If it's "Only a few players have access" then it's not fair, and "It's ammo is restricted IC" is not enough to balance them.
Last edited by Wyatt Lockhart on Tue May 03, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyatt Lockhart - Head of Weapons and Armour Technology
"It's not magic, it's engineering plus chemistry..."

Sparks

Post by Sparks » Tue May 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello Mark

Whilst you may have opinions one way or another, I strongly suggest you watch your tone when airing them

These weapons have gone through a balancing procedure. the fact that you disagree with how it's done is immaterial.
Jack Mason, RIBA

Wyatt Lockhart

Post by Wyatt Lockhart » Tue May 03, 2016 6:53 pm

**edit**

Pulling this until after the event when I've seen it in action.

**/edit**

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue May 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Going on what the edited post now says I do agree with Mark it does seem like the change to the the sniper rifle variant is the largest of the buffs that has occurred and does at this time seem to make carrying an Anti Material Rifle basically pointless unless the amount of ammo is going to be very very small for the AM-1 like less that 2 clips.

I dont know how much ammo other snipers go through who aren't sniper one but for me its typically around 30 ammo an event. So if I had the choice of bringing a sniper rifle and an AMR and I could get 20 rounds for an XM1 I wouldn't bother and would be ahead of any other sniper frankly.

Can I ask what the thought process was please on the balancing of that change. I realise you dont have to tell me and we are in a system where we vote in Sys Refs to have carte blanche with rules changes.

Also were these changes just discussed between the two current system refs? As normally the team would be 3 and I think we can agree from personal experience sparks that two may agree where three may not
Newer posts by Livingstone Gibson Man of Adventure or Cpl Daniel Haverlock Man of Rilfes

Older posts by Maxwell Summers Man of Knowledge

Occasionally posts by approved NPC's

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue May 03, 2016 9:37 pm

*pops head up*

Why are we worrying about balance? Did this become a PvP game when I wasn't looking or something? It's overhauled near-future technology that is straight-up better than what we have had available to us at previous events? Of course old-tech is going to be worse than it, that's kinda the purpose of 'advancement of technology'...it's like wearing 'Earth' plates vs 'Waterhouse' plates which are a straight advance.

Technology progresses, weapons advance, new toys are created by players putting effort into it's creation.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue May 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Also Mark, I don't think you use FB so you might not have seen the stuff that's been posted due to discussion there, but as the Refs have been saying these models are a stop-gap stage before full production (where we basically upgrade the basic SEF ARs via Retrofitting the internals) they're available to us as limited units at the moment, but it only takes a load of armourers pumping Research into the project to roll this around so it becomes a standard retrofit (like the waterhouse plates).

Dr Lanfear

Post by Dr Lanfear » Tue May 03, 2016 10:38 pm

This has happened before when most sef weapons got a clip size increase. I honestly forget how long ago it was but I think initially there were ammo availability issues. It's about time the SEF upgraded standard issue weapons given we have been fighting dudes with phasers for ten years. If they become the new norm it won't penalise a standard earth character.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Sir/Doctor Thomas Lanfear
Member of Parliment
Minister for and head of the Ministry of Extra Terrestrial Trade

Wyatt Lockhart

Post by Wyatt Lockhart » Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 am

Kirby and Marc, my concerns over phys-rep obsolescence been addressed, and I'm now well aware of the intentional power-creep.

As I posted above, I'm holding off discussing this until I've seen it in game and had a face-to-face chat or two.