Difference between revisions of "Rules of Engagement"
From Stargate LRP
(Created page with "---- ==Overview== The SEF was formed to protect the Earth from alien threats using Diplomacy, Intel and where necessary force. For those instances where force is required the...")
Latest revision as of 16:59, 12 September 2019
The SEF was formed to protect the Earth from alien threats using Diplomacy, Intel and where necessary force. For those instances where force is required the following document provides guidance on applicable conventions and simple rules of engagement.
The use of force
Where possible the use of force should be considered to be the final option if Diplomatic and Intelligence avenues have failed. There follow some simple guidelines to the applicability of force however it is accepted that due to the infinite variety of SEF encounters there may be exceptional circumstances where a commanding officer may have just cause to modify these rules.
- The use of force against a combatant of a known enemy is permitted
- The use of force in response to hostile actions is permitted
- The use of force when it is felt there is a clear and present danger to SEF personnel is permitted
- The use of force when conducting parley is NOT permitted
- The use of force targeted against non-combatants is NOT permitted
The protection of innocents
The SEF should strive to protect innocents when conducting operations unless such actions would critically impair the ability of the SEF to protect the Earth and the members of the Alliance.
As an organisation whose command falls under the auspices of a signatory of the Geneva conventions, the SEF is bound by said convention. In practice this means that as a signatory the SEF must:
- Adhere to the conventions when in conflict with another signatory.
- Adhere to the conventions when in conflict with a non-signatory but only if the opposing nation "accepts and applies the provisions" of the conventions.
- The SEF will assume acceptance and application of the conventions until a nation demonstrates otherwise.
As a multifaceted organisation the SEF commander may from time to time authorise a Black Operation. Only the personnel who are involved in such activities will be informed, and only those personnel will be asked to perform outside of the normal rules of engagement.
Back to Standard operational procedures